Principles

It's taken no less than four years of thinking, revising, designing and rethinking. It also took one false start and then consultations with three different tattoo artists. Then there was a brainwave and I sent out a brief to the crowd sourcing website 'Design Crowd'. I thought I'd be heading for some illuminated Latin in Calligrafiti style but, to my surprise...Design Crowd delivered me into the capable creative hands of Khaleelullah Chemnad. He is an exceptionally talented Arabic Calligrapher based in Dubai (but of course!). Now, finally my tattoo is complete. I have the three core principles of design engraved on my skin. In Latin they are the words: firmitas, utilitas, venustas. Which is the famous quote from De Architectura by Marcus Vitruvius Pollio (born c. 80–70 BC, died after c. 15 BC) a Roman writer, architect and engineer. So - why these words and why in Arabic? I lived in the Sudan (when I was 2!) and, at the time, I spoke Arabic before I spoke English. Also, I passionately believe that design only works if its strong, useful and beautiful, they are timeless principles. A huge thanks to my Tattoo artist, the Kiwi diamond geezer who goes by the name Mr Sprinkles at Live Canvas. I cannot recommend him highly enough, he's just an incredibly lovely human being! A careful, gentle hand, and a super sweet attitude...If you're thinking of getting your first Tattoo - he'd be the best person to go to. I've dealt with seven different tattoo artists over the years in both Sydney and London. Mr. Sprinkles is my number one recommendation. (I asked for a cheeky smile for my blog, and voila!)

Comments